Linear Algebra and Vector Analysis for Engineers
Instructor: Professor Cleary
E-mail: cleary (at sign) ccny.cuny.edu
Office: NAC 8134
Office Hours: see webpage for up to date office hours.
- Exam 2 coming up, Tues Oct 31st.
- Symmetry for integrals can be a useful tool but we need to use it properly and understand when it applies. Here is a handout about symmetry and multiple integrals.
- Remember that there are three types of surface integrals we are learning:
They all have similar approaches (evaluation options: shadow explicit, shadow implicit, parametric, spherical) but make sure you are approaching the problem properly.
- Surface area integrals: to find the surface area of a surface, integrate 1 dS over the surface
- Surface integrals of functions: integrate the function f(x,y,z) over the surface to get f(x,y,z) dS
- Flux integrals: given a vector field and surface with a particular orientation n, integrate F(x,y,z) dot n dS
- HW from 13.7 on surface and flux integrals now due Tues Oct 17th.
- The homework from 13.6 is due Tuesday; on Tuesday, we will talk about flux integrals for surfaces and that will be useful for the 13.7 homework
- Bonus office hours on Thursday, Oct 5th as listed here.
- HW on 13.4 postponed to Thursday morning, as we have not covered flux integrals in lecture yet.
- Friday afternoon, Sept 29, there is a planned maintenance upgrade for the Webwork server.
- Exam 1 graded, scores on Blackboard. Students who did not do well (below 70) should plan to come to office hours to discuss what needs to be done to be succesful in class after carefully reviewing the exam material.
- Exam 1 coming up, Thurs Sept 28th. Bring photo ID, arrive on time. No books, notes, calculators, or electronic devices. Topics are parameterized curves and arclength (10.7 and 10.8), vector fields, line integrals, conservative vector fields, and Green's Theorem (13.1 to 13.4). Prepare by reviewing materiel from lecture, homework, and the text.
- No class Thursday, Sept 21 as campus is closed.
- We haven't yet done in lecture any three-variable potential function problems so that homework is postponed from Thursday to Monday but nevertheless you should complete most of it now.
- Comments on HW1, scores on Blackboard out of 3 points.
- Sketches should have at least two points labelled with coordinates.
- Use right-handed coordinate systems for sketches in 3D.
- A parameterization of a line includes a parameter t, often using the P+tV form.
- A linear equation in space gives a plane, not a line.
- A good way of reviewing the important 203 material is to find a current 203 student and help them.
- Do not put off logging into WebWork and Blackboard; make sure you are familiar with the systems now. Though the WebWork assignments are not due immediately, you want to start on them as we have a great deal of material to cover this term and will need to move quickly.
- If you are enrolled in the course and did not get a Welcome email, check your CUNY First and Blackboard email settings as those contain important information.
- We will be using the online homework system WebWork for some assignments. The login and password are the same as your CCNY identifier, and see the email sent to all enrolled students about how to use the WebWork system
- Quiz 0 is available on Blackboard and due Friday Sept 8th but you can complete it immediately.
- If you do not already have a copy of Stewart's Essential Calculus, Second Edition, ISBN 1133112293, you may want to purchase
electronically the text for about $25 from the cengage website or look for a used copy of the text. You do want the second edition.
- If you are enrolled in the course and have not yet gotten an introductory email, check your Blackboard email settings and you may also want to make sure you are not over your email quota.
- Remember that Heuvers et al "Linear Algebra for Calculus" ISBN 0534252486 is also a text which we will use later in the semester.
- First homework due Thurs, Aug 31st.
- First class meets Tues, Aug 29th in NAC 1/203
Upcoming Front Row Duty
Tutoring Center Hours in Marshak 418